Minnesota’s Top Ten Unspoken Rules
I was sitting around with a friend this weekend, solving the problems of the world (as you do), and here's what we came up with. Did we miss any?
1 - USE UP A ROLL OF TP? PUT A NEW ROLL ON.
- This happens at work (I'm looking at you, Troy!) and at home. For a while I swear I was the only one changing the roll, so I went on strike, and it didn't get changed 'til the cleaning crew came in that weekend.
2 - IF YOU BORROW A CAR, PUT GAS IN IT
- Or run it thru a car wash, wash the windows, something to show appreciation. But especially gas.
3 - ARE YOU CHEWING? IS YOUR MOUTH OPEN? CLOSE IT.
- No one...literally no one...wants to see the food in your mouth. This goes along with a similar rule, don't talk with your mouth full.
4 - DON'T BE THE UNREQUESTED PROOFREADER ON SOCIAL MEDIA
- If you're that person, "Sorry I can't help it." doesn't get you off the hook. Don't be sorry. Just don't do it. Most of us roll our eyes and wonder if you correct their friends in person, too. It is rude, unnecessary, and unkind.
5 - IF YOU HAVE SHARED MAILBOXES, SHARE THE SHOVELING
- You don't need to make a chart, but we all know when we last shoveled. Not cool to let someone else do all the work unless you're physically unable to do it.
6 - ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION TO SWIPE THRU SOMEONE'S PICTURES.
- Always. You don't know what's on there and you may never be the same after seeing it!.
7 - LET PEOPLE GET OFF ELEVATOR BEFORE YOU EVEN TRY TO GET ON
- Not just common sense, but you'll get in faster if you don't block those trying to get out. So, stand back and to the side while waiting. It is just rude to block a person's way, especially if you're at the Mayo Clinic.
8 - AN APOLOGY DOESN'T INCLUDE AN EXPLANATION, JUST AN APOLOGY
- Don't be like the dough-heads that get elected to office. Say you're sorry by saying, "I'm sorry I hurt you/lied/stole/at all your corned beef hash. I won't do it again." That's it. Anything beyond that is an explanation, which is really just an excuse.
9 - IT IS OK TO BE WRONG
- Really. It is. You were wrong plenty of times as a kid, and you learned from it. No shame, just admit it and grow from it.
10 - TRY THE PORTA POTTY / RESTROOM DOOR ONCE
- Trust me, if it didn't open the first, second, and third time you yanked on it, the fourth, fifth, and twentieth time will yield the same results (plus a bonus, "Sheesh, give it a rest, Larry!").
- If no one laughed the first time, they won't laugh the second time, either.
- Don't make fun of the way someone looks.
Listen to James Rabe 6a to 10a on Y-105 FM