Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - A highly anticipated announcement from Governor Tim Walz is now a week away.

Rochester Public Schools Superintendent Michael Munoz says he, and other school administrators from around the state, were told today that Governor Walz will be issuing guidance concerning the start of the new school year next Thursday. Earlier reports suggested the guidance would be coming a little sooner, with next Monday most often mentioned.

The Minnesota Department of Education had previously told Minnesota school districts to prepare for the possibility of operating schools under three scenarios. The first scenario would have almost all students return to their schools for in-person instruction, another would continue the distance learning that was used to finish out the previous school year, while the third would be a hybrid of both in-person classes and distance learning.

The Rochester School District recently issued its recommendations for operating the schools under the three scenarios and is seeking input from parents and students.

News Update:  12 People Injured in Rollover Crash Near Zumbrota