Foods to Eat When it’s So Blasted Hot in Minnesota
During our visit with Northfield Chamber of Commerce and Tourism officials at Professional Pride Realty in Northfield today we talked about foods we've eaten as kids when it was hot.
For example Radish Sandwiches were popular when I was a kid. Chamber Membership and Events Coordinator Jane Bartho said she was "embarrassed to admit" she had them and loved them when she was young.
"Why embarrassed ?" I asked. "I don't know it just sounds strange now." Pete Mergens of Professional Pride Realty could not join us on the program but did listen during that segment and texted, "Ish...radishes" to Chamber President/CEO Lisa Peterson.
Peterson agreed with Mergens the thought of radish sandwiches was not appealing. Bartho said potato chip sandwiches were also a favorite in her household as a child.
A KDHL listener emailed during the Midday Report that he enjoyed Radish Sandwiches as a kid also. "So if you're weird, so am I Gordy." He stated.
You can learn more about this here.
Elvis Presley was famous for craving Bananna Sandwiches.
My memories of most these cool items came before microwaves. Mom didn't want to hover over a hot stovetop or start the oven so out came the cooler foods.
I'm going to list some of my favorites and would love to have you add to them.
- Cucumber, Tomato Sandwich
- Egg, Ham, or Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Blue Cheese Chicken Salad (this is my new favorite, mmm) You replace the Mayo with Blue Cheese, it's yummy!
- Root Beer Float Pie (no oven needed, you freeze for 8 hours)
- Creamy Grape Salad (simply sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans and enjoy)
- Coleslaw (I use Miracle Whip like Mom but Mayo is okay too)
- Strawberry Pie
- Fresh Fruit Bowl (so easy to make and so good to eat)
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Sandwich
- Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Turkey and Cheese Sandwich
- Ham Sandwich
- Roast Beef Sandwich
- Chipped Beef over Toast with Gravy from the microwave
- Potato Salad with or without Celery
- Celery with Peanut Butter and Raisins
- Sugar Sandwiches
- Dandelion Salad (my Mom said was popular during Great Depression)
Please share your go-to hot weather foods to stay cool.
With food people generally have drinks.
What Are the Signature Drinks From Every State?
This is awesome!
Charming Wabasha Home Has an Amazing View of the Mississippi River